During American Stroke Month in May, Fountain Valley Regional Hospital and Medical Center will launch a comprehensive awareness campaign that includes a free online assessment designed to help you determine if you are at risk of a stroke.
Hospital officials say it’s important to know whether you are at risk of a stroke because:
· Every 40 seconds, someone in the United States has a stroke.
· One out of six people will suffer a stroke in his or her lifetime.
· Stroke is the No. 1 cause of disability in the US.
· Stroke is the No. 5 cause of death in this country, killing almost 130,000 people every year.
· Eighty percent of strokes are preventable.
FV Regional and its three affiliated hospitals in Southern California offer a comprehensive network of potentially life-saving stroke and cardiac services at easily accessible locations in their communities. They have also increased their sponsorship with the American Heart Association to provide greater support, patient education and community outreach regarding stroke and cardiovascular disease.
“Fast, accurate diagnosis and treatment of stroke can be critical to survival,” said B. Joseph Badalian, CEO of Fountain Valley Regional Hospital and Medical Center. “The free online risk assessment tool we are offering allows anyone in our community to find out for themselves whether they are at risk.”
As part of the campaign, the hospital will offer a variety of resources to increase community and patient awareness of stroke. These include:
· Online Risk Assessment Test – Residents can assess their risk for stroke by filling out a brief online questionnaire. Those whose risk for stroke is found to be high will receive a referral to a local specialist. People considered at medium or low risk will receive detailed information about stroke, including how to spot the sudden signs of a stroke. The link is OCHealthCheck.com/StrokeRisk.
· Public Service Announcement – A 30-second public service announcement sponsored by the four hospitals and shown on local TV stations throughout Stroke Month will give key facts about stroke, as well as simple steps to reduce risk.
· Free Informational Flyers – Flyers with educational information and tips about how to reduce the risk of stroke will be made available to visitors to the four hospitals throughout May.
To learn more, visit www.fountainvalleyhospital.com.